Nearly every modern company has moved, is moving, or will move to the cloud. It’s inevitable. With the move to the cloud there are lots of new challenges. One of these challenges is how you should be backing up data.
Many organisations think that because they have moved to the cloud, probably with Office 365, their data is safe. This simply isn’t true. Microsoft, like other SaaS providers, operate on a shared responsibility model, meaning that they only maintain their uptime and the infrastructure holding up the service. Ensuring business data is protected and backed up is down to the customer.
Here’s 6 reasons why backing up Office 365 is vital:
- Difficult retention policies: Managing Office 365 retention policies can be very confusing and difficult to keep up with. Backing up data with Vitanium will allow much finer management with granular control, providing longer and more accessible retention policies. Data is protected and stored in one place allowing easy recovery.
- Accidentally deleting a user: Deleting a user in Office 365 can be a harrowing experience. Once you delete a user it is replicated across the whole network, making it impossible to recover… unless it is backed up. Backed up users can be restored both on-premises Exchange or Office 365.
- External security threats: Viruses and Malware attacks are on the rise, increasing in volume and sophistication year after year. If affected by one of these attacks it is incredibly important to have a backup with a restore point from before the attack happened, allowing access to all of your data.
- Internal security threats: Organisations are increasingly experiencing threats from inside their own business. It is becoming unnervingly common. The more advanced your security and backup options become, the more you have mitigated the risk of falling prey to having critical data lost or deleted.
- Legal and compliance requirements: Office 365 as standard does not comply with many industries’ regulatory requirements. You need to be able to ensure mailboxes and even specific emails can be retrieved when required.
- Managing hybrid email deployments and migrations to Office 365: It doesn’t matter if you are migrating over to Office 365 now or if you have a mix of Exchange and Office 365 users, the exchange data should be managed and protected the same way, making the source location irrelevant.
It is no longer a matter of if you should backup data, but how should you back up your data. Get in touch and see how we can help.